The sound of Kurt singing Pharell Williams’ song ‘Happy’, on repeat all week, has made me uncharacteristically sooky.
Anxiety tells me that by writing a piece about the best things in life, I’m tempting fate and a horrible Karma will descend on me from above. Therapy tells me that anxiety goes away when you stop feeding the bastard and focus on the good stuff in your life.
So what to do? No matter how much my inner spirit might veer towards cynicism, it has been a good week after all.
So I thought I’d share the love.
Don’t worry though, there’s absolutely no chance of this new Louisa hanging around for too long – we’re about to commence week 7 of the school term, the scales haven’t shifted in at least ten days and the old man continues to irritate the fuck out of me.
So ‘take a gaze’, as my son would say, and let me know if you identify with any of the best bits in my life?
- Connecting completely with someone else’s humor and really belly-laughing with them
- Getting drunk with your girlfriends and forgetting about the inevitable hangover
- That first touch from someone you’ve been stalking for a while
- Eating raw cookie dough straight from the fridge when no-one’s watching
- Sleeping alone and spreading your body from one side of the bed to the other
- Reading the trashiest magazines in bed with only a bottle of wine for company.
- That quiet time in the morning before the rabble awakens
- Crisp clean sheets, soft clean towels and a new toothbrush.
- A clear inbox.
- Shopping, even if you only have $20 in your pocket
- Fantasising about celebrity men eg. Chris Hemsworth
- Fresh flowers, even if you have to buy them for yourself
- New lingerie, even if you have to buy it for yourself
- Mango sorbet on a hot day
- Someone remembering you when you’re feeling meh
- An unexpected hug from your kids
- When he admits he’s wrong
- Not having to fake sex
- That spontaneous day out that turned out even better than you hoped
- Great coffee
- Any kind of chocolate, but the darker the better
- Fresh basil, bocconcini and tomato – the best food combination ever
- Exercising outdoors
- Finding out that a celebrity you respect has put on weight
- Discovering that the secret to long life is doing something you do already
- A compliment from an admirer
- Waking up refreshed, before the alarm goes off
- Sunday mornings
- Good wine.
- That first sip of wine on a Friday night
- That first potato chip on a Friday night
- Friday night
- When your teenagers trust you with something confidential
- Watching the trailers at the movies
- Going to the movies
- Salmon sashimi
- Starting a new book
- Being recognized for your hard work
- Feeling needed
- Live music
- Writing words you’re so passionate about, they bounce from your head straight to the page and then read like poetry
- A dog snuggle
- Being spooned, even if it’s by the dog
- A short, light period
- Wearing something that was once tight but now fits, and gives your confidence a massive lift
- Dressing up for a big night out
- When your kids make you proud
- Doing something charitable that only you know you’ve done
- Educating yourself every day
For the purposes of equality and comparison, I asked the old man for his list and here’s what he came up with:
- Swimming in the sea
- Surfing the net
Which begs the question just how we women adapt to living with such simpletons?
What are the best things about your life?